Closing Date: April 3, 2017
Start Date: April 24, 2017
End Date: September 1, 2017
Job type: 40 hrs/wk, seasonal position
Location: Working out of EcoSociety office for April-June, working out of Nature Centre for July-September.
West Kootenay EcoSociety works to preserve wild places, air and water for future generations; to take action to reduce the crisis of climate change; and to promote sustainable local food systems. If you are passionate, organized, love children and people of all ages, and are pursuing a career in education, we want you to join our team as our Kokanee Creek Nature Centre Education Program Assistant.
Working with our staff and volunteers, the Education Program Assistant will support the Education Program Coordinator in organizing and delivering nature and science education programming in-schools and at the Nature Centre in-line with EcoSociety’s mission and strategic priorities.
Reporting to the Education Program Coordinator, the Education Program Assistant will:
· Deliver in-school nature and science 6 workshops for elementary schools in region and support outreach and scheduling with Coordinator
· Support design and delivery of 3 week-long day camp nature and science programs for children and seniors throughout July and August at the Nature Centre
· Design, outreach and distribute advertizing to schools, seniors, and the public for day-long summer camps
· Support registration, schedules and programming for summer camps
· Take photos, collect waivers and post updates to website and social media
· Write blogs for website and social media
· Support evening programming
· Participate in EcoSociety fundraising drives and initiatives
· Assist with and deliver other educational activities at the Nature Centre
· Work collaboratively with partner organizations
· Be an Ambassador for the EcoSociety at special events
· Any other task as assigned by the Education Program Coordinator
· Be pursuing a degree in education or related to education fields
· Basic understanding of science, nature and West Kootenay ecosystems
· Passion for working to fulfill EcoSociety’s mission
· Experience teaching children and/or seniors
· Team player and problem solver, but must be able to work independently
· Experience in conflict resolution and exercising patience is required
· A sense of humor and the ability to make quick and sound decisions
· Volunteer team management experience
· Experience working for non-profits is preferred
· Outstanding verbal and written communicator, experience telling stories through blogs and photos
· Comfortable and excited to promote EcoSociety’s work and fundraise from individuals
· Attention to detail
· Expert-intermediate knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Google Drive, CMS, Drupal, email management
· Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Ability to work evenings and weekends
· Connected to local community or strong desire to build connections in the community
· Must pass a criminal record check, as the candidate will be working with minors
· Valid drivers’ license is required, own vehicle is preferred
· Willing to commit to position for duration of April-Sept 2017, preference to candidates who want to return for 2018 season
· Preference will be given to qualified students, however graduates from post-secondary institutions with their degree focused on education studies or candidates with experience running education programs will be considered
The successful candidate will work 40 hours per week. They will work out of the EcoSociety office in Nelson, BC before the Nature Centre opens, then will work out of the Nature Centre at Kokanee Creek Provincial Park. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
To apply: If you meet the requirements and are really excited about this position, submit your cover letter and resume in pdf format no later than April 3 to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please write “Nature Centre-Education Assistant Application.” Make sure to include if you are currently in school, what program, and if you will return to school in September. Interviews will be done on a rolling-basis. EcoSociety thanks all who apply, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
EcoSociety is an equal opportunity employer.