Closing Date: April 15, 2017
Start Date: May 8, 2017
End Date: August 25, 2017
Terms: $14/hr, 40 hrs/wk
Location: Working out of EcoSociety office in Nelson, BC
West Kootenay EcoSociety works to preserve wild places, air and water for future generations; to take action to reduce the crisis of climate change; and to promote sustainable local food systems. If you are passionate, organized, and love people, we want you to join our team as our Event Coordination Assistant summer student.
Working with EcoSociety staff and volunteers, the Event Coordination Assistant will help the Markets and Events Director with the day-to-day operations and management of EcoSociety’s three outdoor summer markets (Cottonwood Market, the Downtown Local Market and MarketFest street parties) in Nelson, BC. The Event Coordination Assistant will manage the EcoSociety outreach at the markets and other community event by developing outreach materials, coordinating volunteers, promoting EcoSociety programs and overseeing zerowaste efforts at the markets. The Event Coordination Assistant will also help with logistics and outreach in the planning of a West Kootenay renewable energy conference.
- Help in the day-to-day operations and management of the EcoSociety three outdoor summer markets
- Lead outreach efforts and coordinate the EcoSociety table at key community events and markets to highlight key EcoSociety programs and build relationships with the community
- Develop outreach materials
- Write communications for EcoSociety’s website and social media
- Promote EcoSociety, its membership program, campaigns and projects at events
- Coordinate volunteers and community members for community outreach
- Assist with outreach and logistics for an EcoSociety hosted renewable energy conference in the West Kootenays
- Maintain relationships with volunteers, community members and help in organizing supporters
- Passion for working to fulfill EcoSociety’s mission
- At least 2 years of outstanding customer service experience
- Experience participating in farmers' markets
- Team player and problem solver, but must be able to work independently
- Volunteer team management
- Experience working for non-profits
- Outstanding verbal and written communicator
- Comfortable and excited to promote EcoSociety’s work and fundraise from individuals
- Attention to detail
- Expert-intermediate knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Google Drive, CMS, Drupal, email management
- Organizing skills must include: digital organizing, working in teams
- Experience using databases and websites
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Connected to local community or strong desire to build connections in the community
- Understanding of climate, conservation, food and social justice issues
- Valid driver's licence
This is a partially federally funded Canada Summer Jobs position, to be eligible, applicants must fit the following criteria:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- have been registered as full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*; and,
be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*Foreign students are not eligible
Position dependent on funding confirmation.
To apply: If you meet the requirements and are really excited about this position, submit your cover letter and resume in pdf format no later than April 15 to email@example.com. Late submissions will not be accepted. We thank all those that apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
EcoSociety is an equal opportunity employer.